Pastor & Associates | Attorneys At Law

Experienced, Results-Driven And Client-Focused

What does it take to get a K-1 nonimmigrant visa?

On Behalf of | Mar 15, 2023 | Family Immigration

When you live in Michigan and fall in love with someone who was born in a different country, you need to take certain steps if you wish to marry that person and make things official. The first thing you need to do is determine if your situation makes your fiancé eligible for a fiancé visa that grants him or her to come to the United States to marry you.

Per U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, a K-1 nonimmigrant visa is necessary if you want to bring a foreign-born fiancé to the United States so the two of you may marry.

Getting your fiancé to the United States

Whether you may bring your fiancé to the United States to marry you depends on if you meet specific eligibility terms. You must be a legal adult and a U.S. citizen, and you and your fiancé may not already have spouses. Furthermore, the two of you must have met in person within the past two years, although there are several rare exceptions to this rule.

You also have to agree to marry one another on U.S. soil within 90 days of your fiancé’s arrival in the country. Not marrying within the 90-day window may result in your loved one having to go back to his or her home nation.

Getting your fiancé’s children to the United States

If your foreign-born fiancé has children he or she wants to bring to the United States, you may be able to help facilitate this by securing a K-2 nonimmigrant visa.

If your fiancé does have children and the two of you marry within the required 90-day window, your fiancé’s children may apply for a green card, provided they remain unmarried.